Pothier/Buttonwoods Field – Warwick, Rhode Island

Potheir/Buttonwoods Field, Warwick, Rhode Island

     Pother Field, later known as Buttonwoods Airport, was located in the Buttonwoods section of Warwick, Rhode Island, on the shore of Greenwich Bay.  Exactly when the airfield began operations is unclear, but based on newspaper articles it is known to have been in operation as early as the spring of 1927.  

     The airport was owned by Arman C. Pothier, nephew of former Rhode Island Governor, Aram J. Pothier; born 1854; died February 4, 1928.     

     In June of 1927 it was reported in the Woonsocket Call newspaper that Arman had offered his flying field for use by the City of Providence, free of charge, for a period of five years.  At the time, Providence officials were actively seeking a location for an airfield, and with Pothier Field being on the water, it could also accommodate seaplanes.    

     Source: Woonsocket Call, “Woonsocket Flyer Offers Providence Use Of His Field”, June 2, 1927.

     On July 26, 1928, the airport witnessed it’s first plane crash.  For more information, click here.  

     On November 27, 1928, the airport witnessed another plane crash.  For details, click here.  

     On May 25, 1930, a plane made a one-wheeled landing.  For more information, click here.  

     By 1932 the airport had two runways.  The east-west runway was 1,834 feet long, and the north-south runway was 1,856 feet long.  

     The following information is from a publication distributed by the Unites States Department of Commerce – Bureau of Air Commerce, titled, “Descriptions of Airports and Landing Fields in the Unites States”, Airway Bulletin #2, dated September 1, 1934.  

“Warwick – Buttonwoods Field, auxiliary.  Located on Greenwich Bay in Buttonwoods section of the city.  Altitude, 10 feet.  Open for seaplanes.  No service facilities.”

 

 

 

 

Warwick, R. I. – May 25, 1930

Warwick, Rhode Island – May 25, 1930

     On May 25, 1930, Charles Weaver, operator of the Buttonwoods Flying Service Inc. at Pothier Field in Warwick, and Charles Loring, his chief pilot, arrived at Trumbull Field in New London, Connecticut, to demonstrate a new aircraft to a group of army aviators as a perspective training ship.   A large number of servicemen were at the airport in anticipation of upcoming “war games” over Long Island Sound.  

     When their work was completed, they took off from Trumbull Field to return to Pothier Field.  As they became airborne one of the landing gear wheels of their aircraft fell away and neither man noticed, but the sight was witnessed by several army aviators. 

     Thinking quickly, Lieutenant F. G. Anderson climbed into his own aircraft and took off in pursuit to warn the men of the danger.  Another pilot, Lieutenant John J. Gerhart and his observer found some white paint and quickly painted the warning, “Your landing gear is gone” on the side of their plane.  They too took off in pursuit.  

     Lt. Anderson caught up with the Rhode Island men as they were passing over Westerly, but they didn’t understand what he was trying to warn them about.  A short time later Lt. Gerhart’s plane caught up and when the men read the warning on the side of his plane they understood.  

     Loring then turned over control of the plane to Weaver and then climbed out of the cockpit and onto the wing to get a clear view of the situation.  

     Meanwhile, mechanics at Pothier Field had received word by telephone of the situation and made preparations for a crash landing. 

     The disabled plane made a successful one-wheel landing with minimal damage and no injuries.  The army fliers were credited with preventing what would have been a serious accident.   

     Source:

     Woonsocket Call, “Airmen Land Safely With One Wheel Missing”, May 26, 1930.

Central Falls, R. I. – August 3, 1930

Click on image to enlarge.

Waterbury Democrat (Ct.)

October 22, 1931

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲